Welcome to the wonderful world of lepidoptera! Come join us on Saturday, July 7, 2012 at 11 a.m. at High Bridge Trail State Park as we take a walk along the trail in pursuit of local butterfly species and learn about their fabulous life cycles and habits.
I’ll lead the tour along the mile section, describing butterflies and host plants for beginners and enthusiasts alike. The walk will last approximately an hour, and will conclude at High Bridge.
You'll enjoy a walk along the trail in pursuit of local butterfly species such as this
red spotted purple butterfly.
Don’t forget to bring your camera or phone to snap pictures along the way (one equipped with an SD card is preferred), and after the walk we’ll try to identify any butterflies we find. The best shot wins a prize!
We’ll meet at the River Road access area. Bathroom facilities are available at River Road and we ask that you pack in and pack out whatever you bring. Remember plenty of drinking water, and possibly a lunch if you wish to eat at the bridge. Picnic tables are available on either end of the bridge.
Waverly Garner is the park's AmeriCorps volunteer and hosts many
educational and historical programs at the park this summer.
Whether you’re looking for something fun to do on the weekend, or want to take a stroll along the trail, this program has something for the whole family. Come join the wonderful world of butterflies; can’t wait to see you on the trail. For more information, click here or contact the park at 434-315-0457 or by email.
High Bridge Trail is a 31-mile track rails to trails conversion and runs through Cumberland, Nottoway and Prince Edward counties and the towns of Burkeville, Farmville, Pamplin, Prospect and Rice.
Entrances- Parking availability:
- Rice's Depot Road, 1/4-mile off U.S. 460 at Rice, near trail milepost 142
- River Road, three miles off N. Main St. in Farmville, near trail milepost 146
- Osborne Road, 1/4-mile off N. Main St. in Farmville, near trail milepost 149
- Municipal lots in Farmville where the trail intersects with Main St. near trail milepost 150
- Tuggle Road, off U.S. 460 and near U.S. 15 North, near trail milepost 156
- Prospect Road, off U.S. 460 at Prospect, near trail milepost 161
- Elam, off U.S. 460 at Sulpher Spring Rd., near trail milepost 164
- Heights School Rd., of U.S. Business 460 near Pamplin, near trail milepost 168