I was very motivated to win the High Bridge Trail 5k this past June because I knew that the prize would be a two night stay in any Virginia State Park cabin!
We have stayed in state park cabins before and are avid campers, so this was a prize my family would be excited to utilize. I enjoyed the well-organized race on the wonderful trail and took home the cabin prize.
David Buckalew, President of Friends of High Bridge Trail, Betsy Eckert, 2011 top female winner, Chad Houser, 2011 top male winner, Jennifer Pillow, Southside VA Family YMCA and Park Manager, Eric Hougland.
We finally had a free weekend in January so we decided to head to Shenandoah River State Park to spend a couple nights in a cabin there. This was our first visit to this state park, and we were very impressed with the beauty and amenities of the park. We hiked several trails, including Wildcat Ledge which offered breathtaking views of the river. We also enjoyed the boardwalk path along the river, and the beautiful visitor center.
The Eckerts hiked several trails, including Wildcat Ledge which offered
breathtaking views of the river.
The cabin was new, bright, immaculate, comfortable, and a perfect getaway. We loved the touch of the rocking chairs on the wraparound porch and the picnic area with fire ring in the cabin "yard". Our children loved playing hide and seek in the cabin after dark! We are grateful to the park service for giving us this opportunity and we will definitely go back to this park, with or without the race prize!
The Eckerts loved the touch of the rocking chairs on the wraparound porch at the cabin.
The race will take place at 8:00 a.m. near Main Street Plaza in Farmville. The race will follow an out and back course. Awards will be presented to the top 3 overall male & female finishers and top 3 finishers in each age category.
The top overall male and female finisher will each receive a free weekend cabin stay in a Virginia State Park. Categories for men & women include: 10 & under, 11-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60 & over. Participation is capped at 200 runners.
Timing and scoring of the race will be done by Riverside Runners located in Lynchburg, Virginia. All proceeds of the event will benefit the Friends of High Bridge Trail. This event is made possible with the help of the event sponsor Centra Southside Community Hospital and event partners, Southside Virginia Family YMCA and Friends of High Bridge Trail State Park.
Entrances - Parking availability:
- - Rice's Depot Road, 1/4-mile off U.S. 460 at Rice, near trail milepost 142
- - River Road, three miles off N. Main St. in Farmville, near trail milepost 146
- - Osborne Road, 1/4-mile off N. Main St. in Farmville, near trail milepost 149
- - Municipal lots in Farmville where the trail intersects with Main St. near trail milepost 150
- - Tuggle Road, off U.S. 460 and near U.S. 15 North, near trail milepost 156
- - Prospect Road, off U.S. 460 at Prospect, near trail milepost 161
- - Elam, off U.S. 460 at Sulpher Spring Rd., near trail milepost 164
- - Heights School Rd., of U.S. Business 460 near Pamplin, near trail milepost 168